One of the most important days in everybody’s life is their wedding day, and obviously everyone wants to make the best out of it to make it picture-perfect and memorable for a lifetime. Bermuda is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places to tie the knot. It is known as one of the most sophisticated islands with beautiful pink sand beaches and colorful history and tradition. Unlike some destinations that require a lot of patience and leg work to get married, Bermuda makes it quite easy to plan a destination wedding. What isn’t easy to learn about are the traditions, as they aren’t quite readily available online. So here they are:
There are a number of traditions that couples can easily follow and these customs are known for memorializing the special day in their lives and are also said to bring good luck to the newlyweds. Symbolism plays a major role in Bermuda’s wedding traditions.
- You will see traditional horse and carriage rides for the couple instead of a modern-day car.
- For good luck, the couple is required to walk through a moon gate holding hands.
- The bride’s cake is usually a fruit cake white or silver in color and must have three tiers covered with silver leaves, this embodies the fruitfulness, purity, and growth of love between the couple. The groom’s cake, on the other hand, is gold or white, which is an epitome of wealth and prosperity in the marriage.
- A common topping of the cakes is a cedar sapling which is planted by the couple when they leave for their new house. This is a great way to remember their wedding day as the couple watches it grow and reminds them of their union.
- Weddings usually take place on Thursdays, where people work for just half a day and make time to go to the wedding.
- The receptions are held at the house of the couple.
- Unlike the usual wedding ceremony, the Bermudian wedding tradition incorporates married couples or singles who gather at the dais instead of your typical bridesmaids and groomsmen. These were, however, a tradition in the past; things have changed pretty much through the years.
Your wedding in Bermuda can be as you wish though and does not require any of the local traditions to be incorporated into your wedding. There are very few legal formalities involved and with the island being very close to the United States, thousands of couples choose to have their wedding in the gorgeous islands of Bermuda every year. It’s likely to be a memorable and intimate time on the island that is also treated like a vacation with your near and dear ones. The weddings can be held at many locations, including a church, the pink sand beaches, caves, cliffs, gardens, yachts, and more, all you need to do is leave the rest to our wedding planners, and enjoy your wedding in Bermuda.